How To Start A NBNA Chapter
Dear Prospective Chapter Organizer:
Thank you for requesting information on "How to Start a Chapter" with the National Black Nurses Association, Inc. (NBNA).
Attached is a basic chapter application kit, which includes the following:
(Click to download these 2 files: Section 1: Information and Forms Section 2: Model Bylaws )
- A Chapter Charter Application
- Procedures for applying for Chapter status
- A Chapter Checklist
- Membership and Scholarship Applications
- Model Bylaws
- Information on the upcoming NBNA Institute and Conference
NBNA’s headquarters must receive the following completed information no later than March 15th of each year.
- To start a chapter in your area you must have 15 members or more.
- Membership dues of $200.00 for each RN/LPN/LVN; $55.00 for each student member; $125.00 for each retired nurse and first year graduate 2012); if becoming a Lifetime Member the fee to National is $2,000.00. Each member will be a Direct Member with National until the chapter is chartered at the next Annual Institute and Conference.
- Chapter Dues of $250.00; and $115.00 for Liability Chapter Insurance.
- Chapter website/membership form. This information will be posted on the website once the chapter has been charted and assigned your official Chapter name and number.
- The Chapter President must certify by signing the application that all local and national dues have been collected. Upon receipt of all required information, your application is referred to the Bylaws Committee for their review and after their approval, forwarded to NBNA's Board of Directors for their action. Chapters will receive notification by June1st if the bylaws are approved or additional information is required.
Chapter charters are awarded annually at the NBNA National Conference. Therefore, if you wish to be chartered at the next NBNA Conference, the completed application must be received by March 15th 2013.
Dr. Deidre Walton, President
National Black Nurses Association, Inc.