NATIONAL BLACK NURSES ASSOCIATION
CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT
GUIDELINES & APPLICATION FOR 2008-2009
The National Black Nurses Association is currently accepting capacity building grants from chapters in good standing to assist chapters in building infrastructure within their organization that furthers the mission of NBNA.
It is the goal of NBNA to develop and strengthen the skills, instincts, abilities, processes and resources that chapters need to survive, adapt, and thrive in a fast-changing environment. This supports NBNA’s ability to achieve its mission more effectively and to sustain itself over the long term. Proposals
will focus on “infrastructure development of the local chapter and membership growth of the chapter”.
Example of activities to be funded
Improved governance, leadership development, strategic planning, financial management, legal matters, program development and implementation. Additional activities may include, fundraising income generation, partnerships and collaboration, evaluation, advocacy skills, policy change, marketing, planning and organizational skills and recruitment and retention activities.
- Chapter in good standing
- Demonstrate an ability to utilize the grant experience to advance the goals of NBNA and sustain the activity post funding
- The page limit is 3 typed pages with a 12 point font in times new roman or courier new type.
- Agree to write an article at the conclusion of the project in the NBNA newsletter. Article is due for the Fall Newsletter and will be published after all activities have been completed,
- Grant activities must be completed by August 31 of the following year.
- Signed letter of agreement between chapter president and NBNA president that grant requirements will be met and if activities are not completed, then the chapter must return the funds. (This is not included in the 3 pages.)
Grant recipients will be notified by letter and announced at the NBNA Annual Institute and Conference and published in the Fall NBNA newsletter.
Application should include the following sections. Please note that incomplete proposals will not be reviewed. The page limit is 3 typed pages using a 12 point font in times new roman or courier new type.
- Aim – one sentence that clearly states the purpose (s) 5 points
- Objectives - illustrating the main learning outcomes; 10 points
- Process/Procedures - clear outline/description of activities to be organized and performed 10 points
- Rationale - background and justification. Support with some evidence for need and demand 15 points
- Expertise - background information on applicants and/or ability to organize and deliver the capacity-building activities; 15 points
- Audience - carefully outline the target audience, include number of participants, 15 points
- Budget - costs to deliver the capacity-building activities 10 points
- Timetable - timeline of activities to be completed in one year. 15 points
- Text – writing is clear, organized & grammatically correct 5 points
Costs can include:
Travel, subsistence and other appropriate expenses of the organizers and providers;
Charges incurred for securing rooms, audio-visual facilities, refreshments, etc; and
Where necessary fees may be established for participants. However, all activities
must be free of charge to chapter members.
Costs cannot include:
Consumables not associated with the capacity-building activities
Resources to undertake substantive research
Ten $1,000 grant awards will be made for a 12 month period. The total amount in the
Small Grants Program to be awarded is $10,000.
Request for Proposal – April 1, 2008 until May 31, 2008
- Complete grant application according to the guidelines
- Signed letter of agreement between chapter president and NBNA president that grant requirements will be met. If activities are not completed the chapter must return the funds.
- Proof of current chapter membership in the NBNA
- Proposals must be received electronically in the NBNA Office by 5 p.m. May 31, 2008. Email address:
- Proposals will be reviewed – June 1, 2008 through July 15, 2008
- Awardees will be notified July 20, 2008
- General Announcement to members at NBNA Annual Meeting
Awarding of Grants
A selection committee will review applications and make recommendations for awardees.
Grants will be awarded on the basis of the following:
- Clarity and quality of goal statement
- Ability to complete project
- Meet all proposal requirements
- Chapters may be awarded once every 3 years, if funds are available
National Black Nurses Association
State:_________Zip:_________ Phone:( )____________Fax:( )____________
Chapter President Name:________________________________________________
Project Director:_______________________Project Co-Director: ______________
E-mail Address:________________________ Website:________________________
Start Date of Project:___________________End Date of Project:________________
Dollar Amount Requested: $______________________________________________
Total Cost of Project: $___________________________________________________
National Black Nurses Association
Capacity Building Grant
Letter of Agreement
This letter of agreement is between (chapter name) and the National Black Nurses Association.
(chapter name) understands and agrees to complete the requirements of this grant.
(chapter name) agrees to publish an article in the NBNA newsletter. The chapter agrees to submit a six month report.
It is also understood and agreed to if activities are not completed within established guidelines all funds must be returned within 30 days of project end date September 30, 2009 to the National Black Nurses Association.
Chapter President Signature____________________ Date_____________
National President Signature ______________________ Date_____________